The mission of the LBJ Fire Academy is to profoundly influence the lives of our students in a positive way. Through a challenging curriculum encompassing leadership, fire science, and emergency medical training our students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to enter the workforce and become competent decision makers and effective leaders in our community.
The LBJ Fire Academy seeks to provide an unrivaled high school firefighter and EMT certification training program that emphasizes leadership, integrity, and discipline. We provide a pathway to a future career in the emergency services.
The LBJ Fire Academy (LBJFA) is located on the LBJ Early College High School campus in the Austin Independent School District. The LBJ Fire Academy teaches professionalism, discipline and personal responsibility that will prepare our students to become productive citizens, competent leaders, and effective decision makers.
The LBJFA prepares Austin ISD high school students for entry into the firefighting and emergency medical professions. These high quality firefighter and EMT programs impart the knowledge and skills needed to succeed on the certification exams.
Firefighter Certification Training
Selected students start the two-year program at the beginning of their junior year. The first two and a half semesters consist of fire fighting instruction. The remainder of the senior year consists of emergency medicine training. The classes are conducted at school and at local fire training centers during six Saturday skill days.
EMT Certification Training
Senior students complete the EMT training program in one school year. The classes are conducted at three high schools in the Austin ISD and at local fire training centers during Saturday skill days.
What benefits are associated with the program?
• Students become ethical leaders and followers
• Develop inner strength and confidence by overcoming physical and mental challenges
• Encouraged to embrace the ideals of personal wellness and fitness
• Eligible to take the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Basic Firefighter certification exam*
• Eligible to take the National Registry of EMTs certification exam*
• Eligible to receive up to twelve (12) college credit hours in Fire Protection Technology from Austin Community College
• Entry into the workforce without additional education with the appropriate certifications.
• Memories and friendships that last a lifetime!
Watch this slide show to learn more about the LBJ Fire Academy.
* The LBJ Fire Academy is a Texas Commission on Fire Protection approved firefighter certification program and a Texas Department of State Health Services approved EMT certification program.